The Salvation Army 3010 Apartments Celebrates Grand Opening
The Salvation Army was pleased to host the grand opening event of The Salvation Army 3010 Apartments on February 27th. Originally constructed in 1907 as Father Dunne’s News Boys’ Home and Protectorate, it was a one-of-a-kind facility housing, educating and caring for homeless boys. The Salvation Army purchased the building in 1970 and it was renovated as the Harbor Light Center which opened in 1971 and served clients affected by addiction, chronic homelessness and a variety of other disabilities. In 2014 the Harbor Light Center was rehabilitated into The Salvation Army 3010 Apartments resulting in 58 one-bedroom apartments, all of which are income restricted to serve low to very low-income adults seeking to reengage as productive members of society with special preference given to veterans. The 3010 Apartments is the second phase of a five-phase development located on The Salvation Army’s Midtown Development Campus. The first phase, Garrison Residence, is a 49-unit development that also serves veterans and others who are moving from homelessness toward self-sufficiency. Both 3010 Apartments and the Garrison Residence are St. Louis Equity Fund investments. Future phases of the Midtown Development Campus will include:
- The Red Shield Center, a community recreational center that will house community and meeting spaces, a full-size gym/fitness center, and a performing arts center for the Midtown Development Campus residents, community members, and other clients of The Salvation Army;
- A community behavioral health clinic; and,
- A mixed-used building with 35 housing units as well as commercial and retail space.
This development represents the third partnership between The Salvation Army and the St. Louis Equity Fund. We are proud of this partnership and congratulate The Salvation Army on this great achievement.